Green, Howard, & Mughal LLP
5 Centerpointe Drive,
Partner at Green, Howard, & Mughal LLP, Usman Mughal is a patent attorney serving clients across the country including Portland, Corvallis, San Francisco Bay Area, and Seattle. He is admitted to practice in the state of Oregon and is a member of the Patent Bar with the United States Patent and Trademark Office, and is a Certified Patent Practitioner by The National Council of Patent Practicum, Inc. He also served as the president of the Oregon Patent Law Association. Throughout his career he has worked with a variety of companies in the software, artificial intelligence, semiconductor, computer, communication and hardware industries.
Mr. Mughal graduated summa cum laude with a Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering from North Carolina State University. He then earned a Master of Science in Electrical Engineering from the same school. At Lewis & Clark Law School, he earned a Juris Doctor in intellectual property law and graduated cum laude. While in law school he was a member of the Lewis & Clark Law Review.
A former microprocessor designer, Mr. Mughal spent almost a decade as a design engineer at Intel Corp. before he began practicing law. A co-author of 15 technical papers, he also holds 10 United States patents. He interned with Nortel Networks and Cadence Design System at Research Triangle Park, and has a diverse background in technology such as microwave circuits, thermal sensors, telecommunications (5G, WiFi), antennas, CAD tool design, software design, and artificial intelligence.
An active member of his community, Usman is the co-founder of the South West Community Health Center, now a Virgina Garcia outfit, which provides health care services to underinsured and uninsured clients. Usman is also the chapter lead for The Citizen’s Foundation, and built a school in Bahawalpur Pakistan for the underprivileged children. He continues to raise funds for the Foundation to support schools in Pakistan for the poor. Along with patent infringement analysis, Mr. Mughal also handles third-party patents in validity opinions.
- Patent preparation and prosecution
- Inter Partes Review Proceedings
- Opinion Letters for non-infringement
- Freedom to operate analysis
- Claim charts for infringement analysis
- General IP counseling
- Patent portfolio management
- Artificial Intelligence (hardware and software)
- Semiconductor process
- Semiconductor packaging
- Optical and MEMs
- Circuits and Architecture
- Power management and regulators
- Graphics and Video Processing
- 5G technology (standards and non-standards)
- Wired Communication (e.g., DSL)
- Mechanical Arts
- Software arts
- Chemical arts
- Rising Star by Super Lawyers–2017, 2018, 2019
- Diversity in Tech Award 2018 (IP Section), National Bar Association, 2018
- Martindale Hubble award published in Portland Monthly Magazine for Oregon Rising Stars and Top Lawyers, 2017, 2018, 2019
- President of Oregon Patent Law Association, 2017-18
- Top Lawyer, American Law Society 2018
- Distinguished lawyer by Lawyers of Distinction, 2018, 2019
- Lewis and Clark Law Review Editor
Green, Howard, & Mughal LLP is a high-quality Intellectual Property law firm in the heart of Silicon Forest.
We provide specialized domestic and foreign patent law services. Our attorneys have diverse technology background with years of industry and patent law practice experience. Our attorneys are inventors, engineers, entrepreneurs, and legal professionals who pride themselves in understanding complex technologies and procuring marketable foreign and domestic patent monopoly rights for our clients.
We understand our clients and help them harvest ideas ripe for patent protection. We defend assertions made by third parties against our client’s products, and also provide targeted prosecution and offensive analysis services.
We are located in Lake Oswego, a suburb of Portland Oregon, in the heart of Silicon Forest.