Charmayne Ong Poh Yin
Level 8, Wisma UOA Damansara
50 Jalan Dungun, Damansara Heights
50490 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Tel: +603 2081 3999
Charmayne heads both the Intellectual Property (IP) practice and TMT practice at SKRINE; one of the largest legal firms in Malaysia, with a sterling global reputation, and a wide range of highly-regarded practice groups.
As a leading figure in IP and TMT legal advisory and compliance, Charmayne has extensive experience in both spaces and has worked with regulators, public institutions and companies of all sizes in shaping the future of IP and TMT.
Charmayne’s expertise includes managing the registration of and general advisory and drafting work relating to the classic forms of IP rights (trade mark, copyright, industrial design rights and patents). She also regularly deals with regulators and advises clients who provide technology and telecommunications services such as satellite, internet and on-demand content services on complex regulatory compliance and licensing matters.
- Advised major pharmaceutical companies on their data exclusivity rights as well as their strategy concerning the government’s exercise of its rights under patent law.
- Acts as the agent and manages the trademark portfolio for clients across various industries. Notably, these industries include technology and new media, manufacturing, food and beverage, manufacturing, etc.
- Acts as the agent and manages the patent portfolio for clients across various industries. Notably, these industries include pharmaceutical, oil & gas, food & beverage, etc.
- Acts as a domain name mediator for domain name registration disputes.
- Provides general advisory work relating to the classic forms of IP rights: trade mark, copyright, industrial design rights and patents. Her experience involves advising on and drafting of IP-related contracts (e.g. licensing, distributorships and technology transfers).
- Regularly advises on labelling and advertising claims covering various industries e.g. food & beverage, cosmetics, electrical and telecommunications products and product recall.
- Advised one of Malaysia’s first subscription based music, podcast and video-on-Demand (VOD) operators in respect of its entry into the Malaysian market, including on issues pertaining to copyright licensing, content requirements and consumer protection; drafting and reviewing their various policies and terms and conditions.
- Advised a leading international subscription video-on-demand service provider on copyright, production and licensing of musical works; and compensation of music composers.
- Advised various companies including internet access service providers, domain name registrars and web-hosting companies on content requirements and take-down provisions under Malaysian laws vis-à-vis copyright infringing and unlawful content.
- Trade Mark Agent
- Design Agent
- Patent Agent
- Advocate and Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (1987)
- Certificate of Legal Practice, Malaysia (1986)
- LL.B (Hons) University College London (1985)
- Member, Center for international Legal Studies (CILS) Associate Professional
- Member, Congress of the CILS Fellows
- Member, Malaysian Intellectual Property Association
- Member, Licensing Executives Society Malaysia
- Member, International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Member, Asian Patent Attorneys Association
- Malaysian member, Global Leaders Forum (TMT practice)
- Member, Federation of Malaysian Manufacturers (FMM) (for IP and TMT)
Clients report that our service is “very efficient and proactive” (Chambers Asia-Pacific). Another source enthuses: “They have distinguished themselves with excellent service” (Chambers Asia-Pacific).
Our IP team advises clients in protecting, licensing and enforcing their IP rights, whether in the form of patents, trademarks, designs, copyright, trade secrets or know-how. We act for clients in trademark infringement and passing-off claims as well as in patent, design and copyright litigation.
The practice has a wide range of clients in all areas of commercial and industrial activity which includes pharmaceutical, luxury goods, technology & telecommunications, international airlines and manufacturers of industrial and consumer products.
SKRINE is one of the largest legal firms in the country, with a sterling global reputation, and a wide range of highly-regarded practice groups. The firm is currently led by 48 partners with over 110 lawyers.
SKRINE is the exclusive Malaysian member of Lex Mundi, a network of leading independent law firms in over 160 jurisdictions around the world and the Pacific Rim Advisory Council, a network of 30 top tier independent member law firms.
The Firm has been named as the Malaysia Law Firm of the Year 2019 by Benchmark Litigation; Malaysia Law Firm of the Year in 2015 and 2020 by Chambers Asia Pacific; Malaysian Firm of the Year 2013 – 2020 by Who’s Who Legal; ranked as Leading Firm by Chambers Asia Pacific 2011 – 2021; ranked as Top Tier Firm by Legal 500 Asia Pacific from 2014 – 2021; recognised as leading international arbitration firm since 2012 by Global Arbitration Review (GAR) 100 and have been named as Malaysian Firm of the Year for 2014 – 2016 by Managing Intellectual Property (Managing IP).