Richard L. Schnake
Neale & Newman, L.L.P.
American National Center
1949 E. Sunshine Street Suite 1-130
Springfield, Missouri 65804
Tel: (417) 882-9090
Richard Schnake’s practice includes trademarks, copyrights, litigation and appellate law. He has handled 300 applications to register trademarks in the United States Patent and Trademark Office. He has experience in trademark and copyright registration; trademark opposition and infringement claims and litigation; and copyright infringement claims and litigation. He also has experience in the areas of banking law; commercial and consumer financing; commercial paper transactions; real estate sale and financing transactions; and personal injury and products liability actions.
Mr. Schnake is also recognized for his appellate practice, both in Missouri and federal courts. He has handled more than 225 cases in the state and federal appellate courts in some 90 substantive areas and has argued 15 before the Missouri Supreme Court. To date, approximately 90 lawyers from outside of the firm have referred cases to him to handle in the appellate courts. He has been named to Best Lawyers in America, Missouri-Kansas Super Lawyers, and the nationwide Super Lawyers Business Edition in the area of appellate practice. He was nominated for nonpartisan appointment to the Missouri Court of Appeals, Southern District, in 2003.
Mr. Schnake received his bachelor’s degree, cum laude, from Southwest Missouri State University in 1979 and his law degree from Washington University in St. Louis in 1982. He was an Executive Editor of the Washington University Law Quarterly, recipient of the Scribes Award for legal writing, and a member of the Order of the Coif, a national law honor fraternity. He served as the law clerk for Judge Warren D. Welliver of the Missouri Supreme Court before joining the firm in 1983. He has been a partner since 1988.
Mr. Schnake regularly speaks on civil appellate and trial practice and other topics at seminars sponsored by The Missouri Bar and the Springfield Metropolitan Bar Association.
- American Bar Association, 1986 – present
Member, ABA Council of Appellate Lawyers
- The Missouri Bar, 1982 – present
Civil Practice & Procedure Committee, 1999 – present
Legislative Review Subcommittee, 1996 – present
- Springfield Metropolitan Bar Association, 1983 – present
Secretary, 1992; Director, 1993 – 1995; Law Day Committee, Chair, 1989 – 1991, 2002
- Eighth Circuit Bar Association, 2002 – present
- Missouri Supreme Court Appellate Practice Committee, 2002 – present
- Missouri Supreme Court Civil Rules Committee, 1994 – 2002
- Missouri Supreme Court Civil Rules Study Committee, 1989 – 1992
- AV Preeminent 5.0 out of 5.0 peer review rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers in America, Appellate Practice, 2015 – present
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, Appellate Practice, 2006, 2009 – present
- Super Lawyers Nationwide Business Edition, Appellate Practice, 2011 – present
- Top Rated Lawyer in Intellectual Property, American Lawyers Media and Martindale-Hubbell, 2015
- Top Rated Lawyer in Appellate Practice, American Lawyers Media and Martindale-Hubbell, 2016
- David J. Dixon Appellate Advocacy Award, Missouri Bar Foundation, 1990
- Nominee for nonpartisan appointment to the Missouri Court of Appeals, Southern District, 2003
- Who’s Who in America
- Who’s Who in American Law
- Midcoast Aviation, Inc. v. General Elec. Credit Corp., 907 F.2d 732 (7th Cir. 1990)
- McCullough v. Doss, 318 S.W.3d 676 (Mo. 2010) (en banc)
- Laclecle County v. Douglass, 43 S.W.3d 826 (Mo. 2001) (en banc)
- Stowe v. Spence, 41 S.W.3d 468 (Mo. 2001) (en banc)
- Herndon v. Tuhey, 857 S.W.2d 203 (Mo. 1993) (en banc)
- Parmley v. Missouri Dental Bd., 719 S.W.2d 745 (Mo. 1986) (en banc)
- Murdaugh v. Patterson, 435 S.W.3d 689 (Mo. Ct. App. 2014)
- In re Adoption of C.M., 414 S.W.3d 622 (Mo. Ct. App. 2013), cert. denied sub nom. E.M.B.R. v. S.M., 134 S. Ct. 2878 (2014)
- Allen v. Titan Propane, LLC, 404 S.W.3d 914 (Mo. Ct. App. 2013)
- Carroll Elec. Coop. Corp. v. Lambert, 403 S.W.3d 637 (Mo. Ct. App. 2012)
- Cramer v. Smoot, 291 S.W.3d 397 (Mo. Ct. App. 2009)
- Valley View South Improvement Ass’n v. Brock, 272 S.W.3d 927 (Mo. Ct. App. 2009)
- Vanderpool v. Vanderpool, 250 S.W.3d 791 (Mo. Ct. App. 2008)
- In re Marriage of Thomas, 199 S.W.3d 847 (Mo. Ct. App. 2006)
- State v. Carroll, 165 S.W.3d 597 (Mo. Ct. App. 2005)
- Beavers v. Recreation Ass’n of Lake Shore Estates, Inc., 130 S.W.3d 702 (Mo. Ct. App. 2004) Kimberling North, Inc. v. Pope, 100 S.W.3d 863 (Mo. Ct. App. 2003)
- Kleeman v. Kingsley, 88 S.W.3d 521 (Mo. Ct. App. 2002)
- State ex rel. Missouri Highway & Transp. Comm’n v. Rantz, 43 S.W.3d 436 (Mo. Ct. App. 2001)
- In re Elinor Short Trust, 7 S.W.3d 482 (Mo. Ct. App. 1999)
- Meeks Leasing Co. v. Young, 881 S.W.2d 232 (Mo. Ct. App. 1994)
- Strunk v. Commercial Plastics Co., 800 S.W.2d 779 (Mo. Ct. App. 1990)
- Civil Rules Practice, Rules 85–88, 17A Missouri Practice (2d ed. 2012) (with annual updates)
- Civil Rules Practice, Rules 85–88, 17A Missouri Practice (1999) (with annual updates 2000 – 2011)
- “Settlement Conferences”, Missouri Appellate Court Practice (5th ed. 2002) (with updates)
- “Common Sense Tips for Writing Briefs: Making Life Easy for the Court,” Missouri Lawyers Weekly, Feb. 25, 2002
- “Computerization in Appellate Practice: New Means For Old Tasks,” Missouri Lawyers Weekly, April 23, 2001
- “Look Before You Appeal: Five Factors To Consider In Making Decision,” Missouri Lawyers Weekly, April, 3, 2000
- “Rule Revision Clarifies Requirements For Points Relied On,” Missouri Lawyers Weekly, April 26, 1999
- “Judgment By Any Other Name . . . ,” Missouri Lawyers Weekly, April 27, 1998
- “Points Relied On Must Explain How Alleged Trial Court Error is Prejudicial,” Civil Practice & Procedure News, Feb. 1997
- “Legislature Makes Major Change Affecting Appellate Practice,” SMBA Newsletter, Sept. 1996
Neale & Newman, L.L.P. provides sophisticated, cost-effective service for trademark and copyright issues. Our firm efficiently uses cutting-edge technology, yet has a small town background that’s reflected in the way we treat our clients: with respect and friendliness, like our neighbors.
If you have a new idea, we can help you secure the rights to it. If you are starting a new business, we can help you protect the images and words associated with it. At Neale & Newman, we:
- Handle initial filings for trademarks and copyrights
- Respond to objections over trademarks, whether from the trademark office or from a private individual or business
- Protect your trademark or copyright in cases of infringement
- Represent your business in a trademark or copyright dispute, including trademark and copyright litigation, trademark oppositions before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB), and domain name arbitration proceedings
Our IP lawyers also handle various issues related to licensing agreements, including trademark licenses, software and technology licenses, copyright licenses and website disclaimers. We handle issues related to trade dress and trade secrets, as well as issues related to franchising.
If someone has infringed on your trademark or copyright, we can help you go after them. Likewise, if you have been accused of a copyright violation, we can defend you against the accusation.
They are firmly established in a longstanding culture of service as one of the most trusted law firms in Springfield, MO and the surrounding area. Most of Neale & Newman’s lawyers grew up in small towns, and they treat their clients the way they treat their neighbors. Their attorneys—who have received statewide and nationwide recognition—handle everything from complex national litigation and business transactions to state and local matters.
Neale & Newman have a broad range of experience in almost any area of law, including personal injury and workers’ compensation, business litigation, commercial transactions, real estate and land use law, family law, estate planning and probate, employment law, adoption law, and intellectual property.
Whatever your needs, chances are their lawyers have handled similar matters in the past. They are a reliable resource for you. Bottom line, if you are looking for attorneys in Springfield, MO, you know you can trust Neale & Newman, L.L.P.