Bae, Kim & Lee LLC
Centropolis B, 26 Ujeongguk-ro
Jongno-gu, Seoul 03161
Hoodong Lee is a partner at Bae, Kim & Lee LLC who mainly practices in Japan-related cases, litigations involving infringement of IP rights, and other cases covering licensing, IP transactions, entertainment, sports and personal data protection.
Having graduated from Judicial Research and Training Institute, Supreme Court of Korea, Mr. Lee received his LL.M. from Tokyo University Graduate School of Law in 1998, after which he worked as a visiting attorney at Mori Sogo Law Offices (now Mori Hamada & Matsumoto) and Oh-Ebashi Law Offices. In 2002, he became the first Korea-qualified lawyer registered as a Foreign Legal Consultant (Gaikokuho Jimu Bengoshi) with the Japan Federations of Bar Associations and served as the managing partner of BKL’s Tokyo office from 2002 to 2007, the first overseas office of a Korean law firm.
Upon returning to Korea, he served as a member of the Korea Copyright Commission (2009), vice president of the Korea Intellectual Property Society (2009), a member of the Internet Address Dispute Resolution Committee of Korea (2010), and vice president of the Korean Intellectual Property Lawyers Association (2010).
Mr. Lee is a frequent lecturer at seminars hosted by the Japan Institute of Invention and Innovation, Japan Intellectual Property Association, LES Japan and JETRO and at law schools, where he lectures on Korean IP law and personal data protection law. Based on his activities over the past two decades in IP rights and in Japan, he has mainly focused on the IP issues between Korea and Japan. His field of activity also stretches to the sports and entertainment sector, where he served as a director for the Korea Ladies Professional Golf Association (KLPGA) (1999-2004), director for the Korea Entertainment Law Society (2016-2018), and a legal advisor to the PyongChang Winter Olympics Organizing Committee.
Awards & Recognition
- Chambers Asia-Pacific – Leading Lawyer (2016-2023)
- Chambers Global – Leading Lawyer (2017-2022)
- The Legal 500 – Leading Individual (2018, 2016)
- Asialaw – Leading Lawyer (2017-2022)
- Who’s Who Legal – Leading Practitioner (2013-2022)
- Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific – Leading Individual (2019-2022)
- Managing IP – IP Stars – Patent / Trademark (2022, 2017)
- Selected as the best lawyer in IP and patent areas (Chosunilbor 2014)
- Advised CJ Japan in the patent infringement lawsuit and patent invalidation trial filed against Ajinomoto in Japan (Tokyo District Court and IP High Court, Japan)
- Advised Celltrion in the patent infringement lawsuit and patent invalidation trial filed against Genentech (Tokyo District Court and IP High Court, Japan)
- Advised on Hyosung TNS in the patent infringement lawsuit filed against Diebold (ITC, federal district court, CAFC, United States)
- Advised on Hanwha Q Cells Japan in the patent infringement lawsuit filed against Kyocera (Tokyo District Court, Japan)
- Represented Nikon in the patent infringement lawsuit regarding semiconductor exposure device filed against ASML (Seoul District Court)
- Advised and represented Olympus Korea in connection with compliance matters and civil and criminal proceedings (Seoul District Court)
- Advised Delphi Korea in a patent dispute in US
- Responded to inquiries from Maruwa about a patent infringement lawsuit
- Represented Routejade in the application for prohibiting import of patent-infringing products by Tokyo Customs and patent invalidation trial in Korea and Japan against Hitachi Maxell
- Represented Sumitomo Electric Industries in the patent lawsuit over electrode used in cold cathode fluorescent lamps
- Advised on Fuji Film in a patent dispute in Korea
- Represented Hamamatsu Photonics in a patent infringement Lawsuit and patent invalidation Trials in Korea (Seoul District Court and Patent Court)
advice is based on our in-depth understanding of the client’s business and IP assets, including such assets’ economic and social impact, and we strive to provide creative and innovative solutions for our clients while setting new legal precedents along the way. We take great pride in being an integral part of our clients’ future business success.
BKL provides a fully integrated, one-stop legal service on all aspects of intellectual property, including patent and trademark prosecution, copyright, trade secrets, data protection and privacy, and enforcement and transactions involving intellectual property. In today’s highly competitive technology environment, we provide strategic advice to ensure timely and proactive procurement and protection of the client’s IP assets.
Established in 1980, BKL is a leading full-service law firm in Korea. At the core of our practice is our commitment to client service, and we assemble experts of the highest caliber to provide each client with quality legal services.
Our experts work together in close collaboration to anticipate client needs and deliver practical solutions that enable our clients to focus on running their businesses.
As one of the largest law firms in Korea, BKL is comprised of approximately 700 professionals, including lawyers qualified in Korea and foreign jurisdictions, accountants, patent attorneys and other qualified specialists and advisors.
Our clients have access to our expertise across a full range of practice areas, including corporate/M&A, foreign investment, finance, fair trade and competition, regulatory, labor and employment, tax, intellectual property, real estate and construction, criminal matters, litigation, dispute resolution and arbitration.