Dr. Frederick Ch’en
Daido Seimei Kasumigaseki Building
Tel: +81 3 5157 8263
For over 15 years, Dr. Frederick Ch’en has combined his scientific training and cultural background to advise on a broad range of contentious and non-contentious IP matters, especially in the life sciences area. His particular focus is multijurisdictional patent litigation, which also allows him to assist more pragmatically on IP licensing and IP aspects of transactions (e.g., M&A, private equity, and corporate finance).
A former research scientist at Oxford University (with the top First Class Honours degree in Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry (Balliol College) and a doctorate in Medical Sciences (Merton College)), Frederick brings technical insight into clients’ disputes or transactions coupled with cross-border perspectives that stem from having been raised in four different cultures.
Frederick is a solicitor (England & Wales), U.S. attorney (California), U.S. patent attorney, a registered foreign attorney in Japan, and a U.K. chartered biologist. He has been recognised as a leading practitioner by various publications, including Chambers Asia, Legal 500, and MIP.
Prior to joining Hogan Lovells, Frederick was head of IP in the Tokyo office of another top-tier law firm (2010-2013), having initially trained and worked for seven years in the London office of a top-tier “Magic Circle” international law firm. He is a member of AIPPI Japan, the Licensing Executive Society in Japan, and Pharma Delegates. Frederick speaks English and Japanese.
Admissions and Qualifications
- Solicitor, England and Wales
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Japan – Daiichi Tokyo Bar Association (Gaikokuho Jimu Bengoshi)
- Senior Courts of England and Wales
- Acting for various global originator pharmaceutical companies in relation to numerous patent disputes in Japan, including patent invalidation actions before the Japan Patent Office, appeals before the IP High Court and patent infringement proceedings (as claimant and defendant) before the Tokyo District Court in conjunction with Japanese bengoshi lawyers
- Acting for a Japanese pharmaceutical company in relation to its European strategy for filing Supplementary Protection Certificates in 26 countries
- Acting for a Japanese pharmaceutical company in relation to patent infringement proceedings against three generic companies in Hong Kong
- Acting for a Japanese life sciences company in relation to a patent licence from a U.S. counterparty
- Acting for a Japanese engineering company in relation to its licensing negotiations with a European university in respect of joint research, development and exploitation
- Acting for a Japanese electronics company in relation to UK patent litigation proceedings
- Acting for a Japanese technology company in relation to its global trademark and brand licensing
- Acting for Merck & Co., Inc. in relation to defending patent revocation proceedings in relation to its enzyme inhibitor product (finasteride), a ground-breaking case that changed the English law on the patentability of dosing regimens and the rules of precedent in the UK Court of Appeal
Your ideas. Your innovations. Your brand. Our IP practice understands that these assets make your business unique, and we know how to protect them.
There’s a reason why more than half of the world’s top 100 brands (Financial Times, 2018) have chosen us to represent them. With 400 IP professionals worldwide, we combine a global outlook with local knowledge across the life cycle of IP assets ― from development to commercialization, and licensing through to maturity. But it’s not how many lawyers we have; it’s the way we work together that our clients really value.
Many of our lawyers hold advanced degrees in science and engineering, helping us to fully appreciate the products and processes in traditional industries, as well as emerging ones.
Our 2,600+ lawyers work together with you to solve the toughest legal issues in major industries and commercial centers around the world. Whether you’re expanding into new markets, considering capital from new sources, or dealing with increasingly complex regulation or disputes, we help you stay on top of your risks and opportunities.
A fast-changing and inter-connected world requires fresh thinking combined with proven experience. That’s what we provide. Progress starts with ideas. And while imagination helps at every level, our legal solutions are aligned with your business strategy. Our experience in cross-border and emerging economies gives us the market perspective to be your global partner. We believe that when knowledge travels, opportunities arise.
“Frederick Ch’en routinely handles patent disputes and advises clients on cross-border licensing matters, leveraging his biological sciences background to represent pharmaceutical companies.”